Monday, January 16, 2006

dear diary

so every monday, the ny times publishes the "metropolitan diary" which is as cringeworthy as the personal stories that contestants on jeopardy tell about themselves.

Dear Diary:
After a noontime walk-turned-half-jog in a chilly Central Park, I felt the need for a good stretch. I decided to kick out the kinks while waiting for the light to change at Columbus Circle. Right, left, right, left. After all, I said to myself, this is New York, no one will notice, and people do stranger things. As the light turned green and I stepped off the curb, a woman turned to me and said, "You're hired!"


uh, okay?

Dear Diary:
A variety store in my neighborhood had a sign on its outside wall listing wallpaper, paint and art supplies among its stock. However, the "W" and the "P" were in a color different from the rest of the sign, and had faded to invisibility, leaving passers-by with the unarguable information that "allpaper aint Art Supplies."

omg, hilarious. can you believe that?


Dear Diary:
Recently, I was riding on a subway car that was packed like a tin of sardines. Because I kept getting poked by someone's umbrella, I turned to the guy behind me and said, "Excuse me sir, could you please not poke your umbrella into my side?" Without missing a beat, he exclaimed, "That's not my umbrella!"

okay, i might have made that one up.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: second story,

Nothing is worse than when mildly literate people discover wordplay.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the wallpaper one *is* kind of--well, not hilarious--but it is amusing. Guess, I'm just mildly literate.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home